Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My Little Beaver


Just a week or two ago Lily popped through all four of her top teeth at the same time. You can imagine my horror when I went into her room to pick her up from a nap this morning and she had done this:
I know I shouldn't be surprised. Every baby does it, it seems. I just didn't expect it to happen for a while longer. So I raided my fabric drawer and grabbed this fabric that I found at Walmart in their remnant bin and threw together a tutorial.
I measured the crib and realized my fabric wasn't long enough to cover the entire side lengthwise, so I cut six 5-inch wide 18 inch long pieces of fabric, then laid them right sides together.

Then I just sewed a straight line right down one side and opened it up.



I laid the third piece down just like in step one, right sides together, and sewed another line.
Repeat to make two strips and pin them right sides together.

(and please pardon my terrible phone camera pictures)
Then I cut eight 6.5 inch strips of ribbon and sandwiched them between the two pieces of fabric at each seam.



Sew a straight line down the long sides, stopping to sandwich in your ribbon ties.
Turn it right side out.


Then just fold it over your crib railing and tie your ribbons. If I could do it over again I would have put maybe two more sets of ties on there, but overall I'm happy with it. In all, it took me about 40 minutes to do, it was totally free, and my precious crib is safe(er) from my half beaver half chipmunk child.



 Note: yes, I am aware that bumpers on cribs are not recommended and neither are blankets. You raise your kids and I'll raise mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment