Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Birthday Business

Today is Lily's first birthday and I thought I would share her birth story. We went to my parent's for chili on January 22nd and watched the Giants beat the 49ers for the NFC championship. By the end of the game I felt kind of weird and told Chris I wanted to go home. We cuddled on the sofa here watching tv and I started noticing I was having contractions about 10 minutes apart. I urged Chris to go to bed and sleep some because I thought this might be the real deal.

I laid on the sofa, I did the dishes, I straightened my hair, I tossed and turned trying to watch some ridiculous infomercial and eventually texted my mom that I was having contractions and really uncomfortable. She told me a few positions that would help, but I spent most of the night half sobbing half deep breathing with my forearms leaned against the wall. Around 7 I called the OB's office and told the nurse that my contractions were now about 5-7 minutes apart and I was really uncomfortable. She told me to go ahead and go into Labor and Delivery to get checked out, but it sounded promising and to make sure I brought my bags.

I waited around a little more, trying to make the morning as relaxing as possible. At 7:30 I "woke" Chris up (I have doubts he slept at all that night) and told him what the nurse said. He asked if we needed to bring our bags and I said "oh, the nurse said to. They'll probably send me home though." He raised an eyebrow but didn't even question my blatant panic ridden denial. What a smart man. We got in the car, texted our parents and best friends and walked in. They asked me about my contractions and put me in a bed immediately. I was 6 cm dilated. They broke my water and gave me an epidural, then my contractions slowed down so they gave me some Pitocin and they picked back up.



I took a nap for an hour or so and begged for ice chips. At around 2:30 I started pushing and Lily Danielle was born at 4:07 pm. She weighed 8 pounds, 7 ounces and she was 20.5 inches long. As soon as they laid her on my chest, I burst into tears. I was so relieved that she was here, safe, and perfect that I just couldn't stop it. I kissed her all over her tiny face and handed her to Chris. I fell in love with him all over as I watched him rock her, gently wiping her face with the receiving blanket.
 
 
 
Happy birthday, Liliford. Boogerbutt. LDJ. It's been the best 12 months of my life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment